Wednesday, April 18, 2018

P is for...PANIC. A BOOK REVIEW

By: Lauren Oliver
Year: 2014
Genre: Y/A Thriller. Suspense.
4 STARS


Written in third person limited POV, from the perspective of both main characters, Panic is the story of Heather and Dodge competing in a legendary game played by the graduating seniors in a boring small town in the middle of nowhere. The risks are high, but the payoff is even higher. Secrets, tension, danger, and braveness filled every page of this book.
Panic was my first book by Lauren Oliver, I read it a few months ago and I read it again this week. Usually, when I don’t know the author, I search some of the reviews and comments in order to know where I’m getting into.
The reviews about this book weren’t the best. Let’s put it in this way: for some reviewers including bloggers that I follow, this book wasn’t “good enough.” 
One of the things seems to bother some readers is that in somewhere in Goodreads, Panic was labeled as a Dystopia, so they go into the book thinking they will find something similar to The Hunger Games and Divergent. Well, this book is Not a Dystopia, it is a contemporary suspense. Which is a perfect example of how dangerous labels and unfair reviews can be.
However, the synopsis called my attention and I decided to give it a shot, although I didn’t have any expectation.
“For Heather and Dodge, the game will bring new alliances, unexpected revelations, and the possibility of first love for each of them—and the knowledge that sometimes the very things we fear are those we need the most.”
I’m so glad that I read Panic. Wow, I loved everything about this book, from the beginning the pace is fast and with tension.
I liked the writing style, Oliver has a gift to make descriptions unique. The plot is more complex of what it seems at first, and I would say the concept is something uncommon in YA, which make the book even greater.
The author includes different subplots, which it could feel like it’s too much, but for me, it just makes the story more authentic
 The voices of the two main characters are clear, completely different at the point that they clash with each other. There is no way the reader misunderstand in which POV every chapter is told.
 The strengths of this book are the characters. Oliver’s characters are so believable that they pop out of the pages. Dodge, the male protagonist is the best. He is a powerful character, strong and with fire in him. When I was in his POV, I could feel everything he was feeling, his anger, his fearless, his determination and very deeply buried in his heart, there was love.  It was overwhelming.
 The weakness in Panic are: First, a few predictable twists. I like surprises, and when I guess what is coming in a book, it takes some of the emotion. Sometimes is good to be right and tell ‘I knew it’ but in this case, I would prefer to open the door and be amazed.
Second, the rush at the end that it felt chopped. It was like being in a rollercoaster and the ride ended before the last turn. It had a bittersweet taste.
However, one of the things I like the most about this author is how invested she is with her characters. It’s important to take the time to develop unforgettable characters. I’ve read books that I don’t like the plot or the writing or the narrative, but the characters are so great that makes me keep reading. I believe a good character could make a difference between good stories and bad ones, even it could save it.
The only thing I wanted more was at almost at the end. I’d love is the writer would spend more time developing the anticipation at the end and if she’d make it a little more difficult for the protagonist in the last quarter of the book, for a better impact of the last chapter.
100% Recommended.


Note: Images were taken from google.com & atozchallenge


No comments:

Post a Comment