Tuesday, April 24, 2018

U is for... UNWANTED

“What he doesn't want is to get caught.”
 “Well, I would rather get caught, than die.”
“This is your fault Jake, so, shut up, and jump!”

We were the doomed boys, the unwanted ones, Society called us orphans.  I called us survivors.
Last year, Will, Tommy and I escaped from the bullshit system. Finally, we were free and because of me, maybe until today.
Will was the oldest one, I didn’t know what we would do if he was caught.  I scared away that thought and mentally smacked the back of my head and I just did what he said. I ran.
           My leg hurt, it was a bad landing when I jumped from the fire-stair, but I needed to keep going a little longer and we would be safe. Will always has a plan B.
“You’re an idiot.” Tommy had been yelling at me for the past five minutes and I barely could catch my breath. “That’s the first rule moron! Don’t do anything stupid.”
            “Look, I didn’t want to steal it, the food was going to expire soon anyway, it was going to end in the trash, I don’t know why the asshole clerk called the cops?”
“Because it’s shoplifting, idiot.”
“You’re right,” Of course he was, I just was pissed off, sometimes life wasn’t fair, and now Will was in trouble because of me. “I’m going to the police station.”
            “Jake, you listen to me very carefully, you’ll stay here, and we’ll wait for Will. Now give me that backpack, I’ll make us something to eat. Moron.”
             It was almost eight in the morning and Will never showed up. I left all my money and a note next to Tommy’s bed. It didn’t matter he would never understand why I left.
 I was walking around the corner when a hand pulled me into the alley. Shit! I almost had a heart-attack.
“Where the hell do you think you are going?”
“Will!” I blinked twice to be sure it was him. I hugged him, knowing he was okay.
                                                                     ***
            “Next town will be better,” Will said and he smacked the back of my head, and then Tommy did it as well.
“The hell!” They were laughing, and I was laughing too. I didn’t care where we were going. I got my brothers and that was enough for me.

Note: Images were taken from google.com & atozchallenge web site.


No comments:

Post a Comment