Wednesday, April 27, 2016

W IS FOR...

WILD RECKLESS
By: Ginger Scott
Year: 2015
Genre: Mature Young Adult. Romance
My rate: 4 stars

“Kensington Worth had a vision for her senior year. It involved her best friends,
her posh private school in downtown Chicago and time alone with her piano until her audition was perfected, a guaranteed ticket into the best music programs in the world.
Instead, a nightmare took over. 
It didn’t happen all at once, but her life unraveled quickly—a tiny thread that evil somehow kept pulling until everything precious was taken from her. She was suddenly living miles away from her old life, trapped in an existence she didn’t choose—one determined to destroy her from the inside, leaving only hate and anger behind. It didn’t help that her neighbor, the one whose eyes held danger, was enjoying every second of her fall.
Owen Harper was trouble, his heart wild and his past the kind that’s spoken about in whispers. And somehow, his path was always intertwined with Kensington’s, every interaction crushing her, ruining her hope for any future better than her. Sometimes, though, what everyone warns is trouble, is exactly what the heart needs. Owen Harper was consumed with darkness, and it held onto his soul for years. When Kensington looked at him, she saw a boy who’d gotten good at taking others down when they thr
eatened his carefully balanced life. But the more she looked, the more she saw other things too—good things…things to admire.”
 
This is my first book by the author, and it left me a good impression. I enjoyed her narrative style, the well-defined characters, assertive dialogues, and of course the very complex plot. In this story, Scott incorporates subtle, and effective, sensitive issues such as: addiction, suicide, mental illness, marital infidelity and divorce, doing a excellent job handling those issues, which certainly could break the strength of any teenager.
And of course we have the main element as the romance between two teenagers Kensington and Owen, who at a young age have to deal with too many problems, and because of that they learned to support each other and find a balance in their lives. I need to say by the way that the love story impregnate in those pages is sublime.
 Now on the other hand I have some concern like: The pace of the story, the first part is strong, deep, full of passion en every page, suddenly it turn slow decreasing in emotion, in fact despite the well done end, I would love more passion and emotion with the same intensity that hooked us at the very beginning
Kensington the female main character was portrayed as a determined person but then she got lost in the story, changing completely to become en somebody fragile.
Also, I don´t want to spoiler but there are characters that we learned to like them and then they just disappear and I strong believe some conversations had to be happen and it didn´t.
In addition it is the mature sex scene. Which don´t take me wrong, was excellent written, however I think it was a scene disconnected from the rest or the narrative style which was more sweet and light. For me it felt like it was part of the other book inside of this book.
It was difficult to decide my rating, between 3.5 and 4 starts. But I am giving 4 stars, mostly because all the beauty of the narrative and the sensitivity Ginger Scott showed with her written. Also because the way Owen was described. He is a complex character who grew up stronger and more human with every page.
I would love to read this story from Owen P.O.V, sure it´d be interesting.
Best Phrases:
 “Just then, I realize, he´s not really wild at all. He´s heartbroken. And maybe I don´t hate him as much as I thought I did.”
“I love you…but I will suffocate you. Drown you. Loving me… It will kill you”

“I shouldn´t let you… But I don´t care Kensy. Because I think I need you to survive. I think I need you to love me, because that´s literally  all I´ve got” 
Note: Images taken from a to z challenge and google.com

No comments:

Post a Comment